PONT

Le Pont Romain ~ The Roman Bridge

Le Pont Romain , ancré dans la roche, il a toujours fait le lien, malgré les crues de l’Ouvèze, entre le centre-ville et la cite médiévale sur les hauteurs. A l’époque du Comte de Toulouse, il avait un rôle stratégique : c’était un passage obligé qui servait de poste de péage. Au XVe siècle, il servit de poste de surveillance. Composé d’une seule arche de 17 m de long et 9 m de large, cela en fait le plus large des ponts de la Gaule Romaine. Sa construction remonte à la fin du 1er siècle de notre ère. Classé monument historique en 1840, il compte parmi les rares ponts antiques encore utilisés de nos jours.

The Roman Bridge , anchored to the rock, and in spite of the floods of the River Ouvèze, the bridge has always linked the town centre and the elevated medieval city. During the reign of the Count of Toulouse, the bridge had a strategic role: as it was the obligatory passage, it became a toll bridge. In the 15th century, it was used as a lookout point. Built with only one arch, 17 meters long and 9 meters wide, this bridge was one of the largest in Roman Gaul. Its construction dates back to the latter part of the 1st century AD. Classified as a historic monument in 1840, it is one of the rare bridges from antiquity still in use today.
Share by: